Researchers of the Northern Fleet and the Russian Geographical Society have discovered the cross of the Sedov expedition in Novaya Zemlya
The cross erected by Georgy Sedov's expedition in 1913 was discovered in the Novaya Zemlya archipelago by the participants of the joint Arctic expedition which the Northern Fleet is making together with the Russian Geographical Society (RGO) and the Russian Arctic National Park on MB-12 sea tug, TASS reports.27 August 2020
The cross was found exactly in the place that Colonel Sergey Churkin, the scientific leader of the joint expedition, suggested, based on historical documents and polar explorers' records.
The members of the expedition installed a commemorative plaque in honour of the 175th anniversary of the Russian Geographical Society on the Cape Zhelaniya, Novaya Zemlya archipelago. Also, in the area of Cape Zhelaniya, where the Soviet polar station was located during World War 2, the members of the Northern Sea expedition installed a plaque in memory of the feat of the defenders of the country's northern borders. On 23 August 1942, Soviet polar explorers repulsed an attack on the station by the crew of German submarine U-255.
The historical artefacts discovered during the expedition will be transferred to the Saint Petersburg Museum of the Arctic and Antarctic, with which preliminary agreements have already been reached.